Thursday, January 7, 2010

Rives remixes TED2006 | Video on TED.com OR "How I fell in love with TED: Part I"

I may have mentioned this, but I had a rather rough first year of teaching. It lead me to leave the classroom voluntarily, which lead to this downward spiral at the current point in which I find myself wielding a price gun at a part-time, minimum wage job with plenty of time on my hands to contemplate my career goals. Ironically, I have decided that my ideal teaching job would essentially be the one I had; the one that I thought had turned me off to teaching forever. That is a brief description of where I am. Here is a small part of the story of how I got here.

After quitting my teaching job in Worcester I was moved to Westchester, New York. When I got there, like now, I was underemployed and therefore had a fair amount of time to mess around on the Internet. While YouTubing various poets I came across Rives' 'Mockingbird'. I was already starting to fall in love with spoken word poetry and this piece made me swoon. I watched it over and over and over again. I'm always in awe of his rhythm and pacing.





No comments:

Post a Comment