Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A Little Bit of Background

It wasn't until high school that I decided I wanted to be a teacher. In the late '90s it seemed like all anybody talked about was the oncoming teacher shortage, and how DESPERATELY new teachers would be needed in a couple years, at least that's how it seemed to me at the age of 16. So I went to college and afterward got myself a fancy Master of Arts Teaching degree and soon found out that yes, indeed there was a high demand for teachers- only it was in the specific areas of math, science, and Special Education. I had ambitions of teaching High School English and creating a classroom atmosphere of enlightenment and life-changing discussions, not unlike that in The Dead Poet's Society. I did not realize I shared this dream along with what seemed like every other English Major in existence. I was lucky enough to get a job as a Literacy Coach right out of grad school and foolish enough to give it up after one year.

I haven't had a full time teaching job since.

My intention is to chronicle my ongoing job search and share some of my thoughts about lesson planning, teaching and learning styles and the politics of public education along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment