Thursday, December 31, 2009

Between a rock and a hard place

I currently live out on Long Island, New York. I am here with my boyfriend, who has just started his own graduate program. I had always banked on being able to teach anywhere. I'm finding this may not be true. While I went through the headache of getting a New York license, I've arrived at an inopportune time. Apparently there were massive teacher layoffs in this area last year. This also seems to be a very lucrative place (relatively speaking) for public school teachers who can land a job. I'm sure plenty come out looking on their own accord.

What this means is that the whole education market is saturated with people more qualified and experienced than I, and I don't just mean the public school, full time classroom teacher positions. There's lots of competition to get jobs as teacher's aids, paras, at private schools, or even at tutoring companies. I am going to have to step up my game significantly. Unfortunately, this may mean sinking more money into getting extra certifications and joining organizations such as the NCTE and/ or one of the National coalitions for Literacy. Don't get me wrong, I think the membership is well worth it, but my current part- time retail gig doesn't even cover my living expenses, let alone more professional development out of pocket.

I'll figure out a way to make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment